They say first impressions last and whilst that might not be true, as our opinions tend to change when we get to know someone, what is true is that first impressions can make or break whether someone chooses to get to know us. Most likely it will.
When it comes to online dating, the first thing people see is your profile. We all know that there is more to a person than what they put in a profile, but it has to act as a preview of coming events. A teaser. Because the truth is, if you don’t like the profile you won’t contact someone. You don’t have a desire to find out what else there is to them. Therefore it’s important to write a good one. See below for some tips!
– include several profile pictures that show off not just you, but what you love doing in life – people are drawn to people who live their passions
– also include photos where you are with other people, showing you have a social life
– avoid topless photos and the likes – you can include beach shots, but that’s about it!
– avoid statements like “I love staying in on a Friday night, but I also love going out” – add something to make it personal
– people don’t want to read long ramblings, so keep it short, but still long enough that they get a sense of who you are
– keep it positive – always talk about what you love and want in life, as opposed to what you dislike and don’t want
– be honest as people who show up for a date will expect you to be the person you claimed to be, or they won’t be interested in seeing you
– show your sense of humor, but avoid too much sarcasm
– have some friends review the profile before you publish it so you get some different inputs
– if you don’t enjoy writing, get help from a friend!
– don’t put LOL or a smiley after each sentence – you don’t smile, wink and laugh constantly in real life, so avoid doing it all the time in messages, simply just do it where appropriate!
Before you start writing, have a read of other people’s profiles, it will help you notice what you like and dislike about them. What draws you in? What makes a profile interesting?
On the flip side of the coin, what puts you off? What makes you stop reading, or reject a profile? Avoid putting similar things in your profile.
Hopefully that will help you to create a profile that will get you noticed! And remember – the next step is a good message. Not just a wink, but a very short message showing you read their profile, you’re curious and you’d love to find out more!